Message from the Associate Dean, School of Graduate Studies and Research
The DeKUT School of Graduate Studies and Research is mandated to establish and maintain a seamless administration and coordination systems of postgraduate syllabi and regulations, ensuring that DeKUT’s advanced and/or professional studies are meticulously planned, organized and delivered in accordance to ISO 9001: 2008 quality standards and processes. The DeKUT School of Graduate Studies and Research prides in creating systems that enable graduates, whether in Business Management, Engineering, Food Science, Geothermal or Computer Science, incorporate scientific knowledge and techniques in solving day-today’s socio-economic and environmental issues.
The school promotes scholarly research by identifying both local and international research funding opportunities and providing such information to graduate students. This enables bona fide students to fast track progress hence complete studies on time. Furthermore, the school in collaboration with the RTMCL Division organizes & coordinates DeKUT’s International Scientific and Innovation conference thus creating a robust avenue for graduate students to hone research skills and exchange new innovations with distinguished scholars.
Since inception, the school is keen on advancing quality research through interdisciplinary seminar organized on semester basis to supplement colloquia. The Seminar congregates the public and respective graduate students’ supervisors with the aim of disseminating new findings and encouraging scholarly debates. Besides, the University Management and the Senate are consistently and unrelentingly supporting graduate programmes through identification and recruitment of high caliber scholars drawn from across the continents including and not limited to Europe, Africa, North America and Asia to assist in the delivery of programmes the University. In collaboration with DeKUT competent academic staff, recruited adjunct Professors participate assiduously in the teaching and supervision of graduate students.
The School of Graduate Studies and Research has a Board of Postgraduate Studies and Research- chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs- that ensures that the postgraduate students are sufficiently taught supervised and progress as per the approved research schedule. Courtesy of this commitment, DeKUT releases in the competitive and dynamic world graduates, diligently equipped with appropriate experience and skills to gallantly confront today’s turbulent world.
With the establishment of the DeKUT’s International Office, the School of Graduate Studies and Research enriches research competencies not only among the students’ fraternity but also among the academic staff through exchange programmes. The outlined endeavors are meant to enhance DeKUT’s position as ‘Premier Technological University Excelling in Quality Education, Research and Technological Transfer for National Development’.
BOARD OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES AND RESEARCH MEMBERS
1.Deputy Vice Chancellor (AA)
Prof. G. K. Muthakia - BED, MSc. (UoN), PhD (Exeter, UK)
2. Associate Dean, School of Graduate Studies and Research
Dr. Juma Misiko – BTM (Moi) MSc, PhD (Lumiere Lyon 2 France)
3. Registrar (AA)
Prof. J. W. Khamasi - BED (UoN), Med. (Univ. of New Brunswick, CA), PhD (UBC, CA)
4. Registrar (RTMCL)
Dr. Sabina Wachira - BSc (UoN), MA (UoN), PhD (JKUAT)
5. Director, Nairobi Campus
Prof. Peter Muchiri -BSc (JKUAT), MIM, PhD (Katholieke University of Leuven, Belgium)
6. Dean, School of Business Management and Economics
Prof. Mathew Theuri - BA (Urbania), MA, PhD (Duquesne)
7. Director, Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management
Prof. Fredrick K. Waweru - BSc, MSc, PhD (UoN)
8. Ag. Dean, School of Computer Science and Information Technology
Ms. Jane N. Kuria - BSc (JKUAT), MSc (UoN)
9. CoD Nursing Department
Mr. James Ndambuki - BSc, MSc (UoN)
10. Director, Geothermal Training and Research Institute
Dr. Nicholas Mariita - BSc (UoN), MSc (Birmingham, UK), PhD (Univ. of Texas. El Paso)
11. Dean, School of Engineering
Dr. Nderitu Kanyogoro - BSc, MSc, PhD (UoM, USA)
12. Director, Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing
Dr. Murimi Ngigi - BSc (UoN), MSc (Stuttgart, Univ. of Applied Sciences, Germany), PhD (Univ. of Tsukuba-Japan)
13. Dean, School of Science
Dr. Emmah Marigi - Bed (KU), MSc, PhD (JKUAT)
14. Director, Institute of Food Bioresources Technology
Dr. Beatrice Mugendi - BSc (UoN), MSc (Florida), PhD (KU)
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES OFFERED AT DEKUT
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND ECONOMICS
PHD IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
In line with the University vision, mission, and philosophy, the programme has the following objectives:-
- To provide students with quality and advanced academic training so as to expand their academic knowledge, research and analytical skills in business administration and management
- Provide the graduates with higher academic training in business administration and management that will help them create and disseminate new knowledge through research in order to add value to the business administration and management processes in an ever-changing business environment.
- Provide graduates with quality academic training, which primarily, enriches their knowledge and understanding of the disciplinary and interdisciplinary issues necessary to provide practical solutions to the society in the field of business administration and management.
- Provide the graduates opportunities to interact with academicians, researchers, and business sector operators, at national and international levels.
People graduating from the programme should be able to:-
- Generate and disseminate new knowledge by conducting researches on issues affecting the society.
- Interact effectively with academicians, researchers, and business sector operators at all levels.
- Teach effectively using the right approaches, skills, attitudes and the knowledge gained from the programme
- Provide leadership and management knowledge and skills necessary for the success of an organization.
- Plan, develop and implement research studies in the field of business and management that would contribute to national development.
Areas of Specialization
• Banking and Finance
• Human Resources and Organizational Management
• Strategic Management
• Leadership and Organization Management
• Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
Minimum Entry Requirements
A holder of a Master’s Degree in Business Administration and Management from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
A holder of Master’s Degree in Business Administration and Management or equivalent academic qualifications of other institutions recognized and approved by DeKUT Senate
Minimum 3 years
MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA)
The Masters of Business Administration (MBA) programme of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DeKUT) aims to provide students with business management-related competencies, skills, knowledge and integrated understanding required by business leaders for business and business-related environments as well as those seeking competitive advantage in work places and in business world. The Programme emphasizes both theory and practical orientation in preparing students for management positions. It is a broad-based, career advancement degree rather than technical training for a particular job within an organization. The programme is flexible, broadly based and tailored to meet the current needs of the real world. The MBA programme comprises Seven (7) areas of specializations as follows:
- Leadership and Management
- Strategic Management
- Human Resource Management
- Finance Management and Investment Banking
- International Business
The MBA Programme aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide graduates with critical business skills and competencies needed for effective management of modern business.
- To instil professional attitudes in the practice of management.
- To develop awareness of the changing local and international business environment.
- To provide the graduates with an understanding of the process of integrating and applying core competencies and skills in business or business-related environment and/or situations.
- To enhance self-confidence and ability to critically evaluate issues and problems in business management.
- To prepare the students for progression to higher degree work and research in business and related fields.
- To assist the students develop theoretical and practical skills in problem solving.
- To assist the students develop ability to collect, analyze, and critically evaluate data and make reasonable decisions/conclusions.
Minimum Entry Requirements
A candidate must satisfy one of the following admission requirements:
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree with at least Upper Second Class honours (GPA of 3.0) from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology or any other University recognized by DeKUT School Board and approved by the Senate;
- Be a holder of a Bachelor Degree with Lower Second Class honours (GPA of 2.60) from DeKUT or any other University recognized by the DeKUT School Board and approved by the Senate provided the candidate has relevant Postgraduate qualifications or relevant work experience of at least two (2) years;
- Be a holder of a Bachelor Degree with a PASS (GPA of 2.0) from DeKUT or any other University recognized by the University School Board and approved by the Senate provided such a candidate has relevant full professional qualifications or relevant work experience of at least three (3) years;
- Be a holder of an equivalent qualifications from other institutions recognized by the School Board as comparable academic qualification of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, and approved by Senate;
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ECONOMICS
Master of Science in Economics programme of DeKUT aims at preparing students for a career as professional economists in the private or public sector as well as offering intensive training to students interested in joining a PhD programme in Economics. It will provide students with economic related competencies, skills, knowledge and integrated understanding required by economist and related environments as well as those seeking competitive advantage in work places and consultants world. Economics is important because it helps society understand what is going on financially and socially, virtually everything we do is about the economy.
This programme will prepare graduates of economics to address pressing economic needs of our times by being equipped to contribute to training, research, policy evolution and economic management. The Program aims to achieve the following objectives:-
1. To provide graduates with critical skills and competencies needed for by Professional economists.
2. To prepare the students for progression to higher degree work and research in Economics
3. To assist the students develop theoretical and practical skills in problem solving in the economy.
4. Undertake both academic and policy driven research by assisting the students develop ability to collect, analyze, and quantitatively analyze data and make reasonable conclusions.
Programme Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the programme should be able to;
1. Use specialized analytical methods to model economic studies.
2. Formulate and analyze appropriate economic models.
3. Analyze current research in economics.
4. Provide technical assistance related to economic policy in various sectors
5. Apply mathematical and econometrics techniques in the analysis of economic problems
6. Should be able to evaluate various government policies.
Minimum Entry Requirements
A candidate must satisfy one of the following admission requirements.
1. Be holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Economic Finance or Economics Statistics; with at least Upper Second class honor from any university recognized by DeKUT academic Board and approved by the senate
2. Be holder of Bachelor Degree with lower second class honor in any of the areas (as in part a above); from DeKUT or any other university recognized by the academic Board and approved by the Senate provided the candidate has relevant research or relevant work experience of more than two(2) years.
3. Be a holder of an equivalent qualification from other institutions recognized by the Academic Board as compared academic qualifications from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology and approved by Senate.
MASTERS OF SCIENCE IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
The Master of Science in Supply Chain management (M. Sc Supply Chain Management) is a postgraduate Degree in Business and Management with a focus on theoretical and Practical Skills. It seeks to equip Students with the cross-disciplinary knowledge and skills to succeed as strategic supply chain Leaders in today’s sophisticated global economy, identifying, creating and managing opportunities for reducing costs, driving growth and building sustainable competitive advantage. The programme provides theoretical framework and Practical Skills needed by management professionals working in different industries in order to cope with an increasing complex national and global supply chain management environment. This is achieved by delivering the programme using an integrated approach with Procurement, Logistics and Supply chain and management units.
The Program seeks to develop the learners thinking, management skills and knowledge across the entire supply chain for improvement of the overall organization performance and customer satisfaction by improving product/service delivery to Consumers.
Graduates from this programme should be able to acquire the following;
i) Acquire strategic supply chain management skills to meet the challenges of dynamic business environments
ii) To equip students with skills to analyze and solve Supply Chain problems.
iii) Learn skills to analyze design and manage globally integrated Supply chain networks.
Minimum Entry Requirements
A candidate must satisfy one of the following admission requirements:
a) Be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree with at least Upper Second Class Honours from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology or any other University recognized by DeKUT Senate and approved by the Senate
b) Be a holder of a Bachelor Degree with Lower Second Class Honours from DeKUT or any other University recognized and approved by the Senate provided the candidate has relevant Postgraduate qualifications or relevant work experience of more than two (2) years;
c) Be a holder of a Bachelor Degree with a PASS from DeKUT or any other University recognized by the University Senate and approved by the Senate provided such a candidate has relevant full professional qualifications or relevant work experience of more than five (3) years;
d) Be a holder of an equivalent qualification from other institutions recognized by the Senate as comparable academic qualification of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, and approved by Senate.
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING
MSC. IN ADVANCED MANUFACTURING AND AUTOMATION ENGINEERING
Manufacturing is the production of goods for use or sale using labor and machines, tools, chemical and/or biological processing. Modern manufacturing systems integrate a wide range of methods, technologies, equipment and people in a flexible manner. The main concerns are the basic specifications, associated design and development of products, and subsequent operation and maintenance of manufacturing and production systems. On the other hand, automation is the use of machines, control systems and information technologies to optimize productivity in the production of goods and delivery of services. The main motivation is to increase productivity, and quality, and realize economies of scale.
Manufacturing systems have advanced from manual systems, through hardwired and numerically programmed systems to automated systems and intelligent systems. These modern manufacturing systems have much greater flexibility of design and operation, increased speed and precision of performance and the ability to conduct automated data collection and reporting.
In addition, advanced manufacturing systems now have the ability to implement distributed control in complex systems. The goal of this programme is to contribute to developments in, and training for the Manufacturing sector.
1) To produce quality graduates in line with University’s mandate
2) To generate research and innovations outputs with impact on the national development goals
3) Transfer and commercialize technology from University and other international institutions to the benefit of students, University and local industry.
Graduates should be able to;
1) Identify engineering problems in the Manufacturing and Automation.
2) Select appropriate mathematical methods, analyze, model and solve engineering problems.
3) Interpret engineering data and generate solutions.
4) Plan for the installation and maintenance of advanced manufacturing engineering plants, systems and equipment.
5) Determine the environmental and social impact of advanced manufacturing engineering activities.
6) Report in a professional manner, transfer knowledge to others, hold scientifically based
presentations, and publish the research results in scientific media.
7) Evaluate the Manufacturing and Automation Engineering field related solutions and problems.
Minimum Entry Requirements
a) A holder of a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
with at least Second Class Honours, Upper Division, of DeKUT.
b) A holder of a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
with at least Second Class Honours, Lower Division, of DeKUT with not less than two (2) years relevant work experience.
c) A holder of a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering, with Second Class Honours-Upper Division or Second Class Honours-Lower Division but with two (2) years professional work experience in area relevant to the programme, from another institution recognized by the DeKUT Senate as being of satisfactory academic status.
MSC. IN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT
This program is intended for engineers with suitable qualifications and/or professional experience who wish to further or expand their expertise in management of technical systems. The courses are designed to help the candidate develop a capability for independent pursuit of research and scholarly works, as well as meeting the requirements of industries through application of the technology.
The specific objectives of this Masters program is to:
- Train engineers in the sound principles of Industrial Engineering & Management.
- Equip Engineers with the knowledge to handle the intrinsic complexities of management and modern technology.
- Train Engineers in sound management of technical systems and provide them with adequate knowledge of decision making mechanisms.
- Train engineers to be analytical, resourceful and inventive while combining organizational skills and technology.
- Equip Engineers with better communication skills.
Minimum Entry Requirements
EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING:
i) A holder of a Bachelor’s degree with Second Class Honors-Upper Division In any Engineering Field From a recognized University
ii) An Equivalent Engineering Degree recognized by the University Senate
iii) Second Class Honors-Lower Division with a Minimum of 2 Years relevant work experience
GEOTHERMAL ENERGY TRAINING AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE
GEOTHERMAL ENERGY TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM
The Geothermal Energy technology program consists of:
1. Masters of Science Degree in Geothermal Energy Technology.
2. A Post-Graduate Diploma in Geothermal Energy technology
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN GEOTHERMAL ENERGY
The proposed Geothermal Energy Technology programs are envisioned to provide an organized academic training in the field, within the context of the growth of use of geothermal energy in the African region. It will focus on capacity building for promoting geothermal energy resource development and utilization. Further, the Geothermal Energy Technology programs will foster research in this area with the mission of improving all aspect of Geothermal Energy development.
The specific objectives of the Geothermal Energy Technology programs are:
1. To offer training in all aspects of geothermal technology from exploration through development to power station operations.
2. To develop capacity in Geothermal Energy Technology in Kenya and other countries in the region planning to exploit Geothermal Energy.
3. To serve as a scientific and engineering instrument pool to promote geothermal energy as a cheap source of renewable energy.
4. To facilitate research and publication in order to improve, improvise or develop new approaches, with the objective of performance optimization in Geothermal Energy development.
5. To create a 'knowledge & think-tank' of Geothermal Energy Technology for Kenya and the other countries in the region planning to develop their Geothermal Energy resources.
The MSc graduate;-
1. is able to identify relevant problems in the field of geothermal energy.
2. is capable of collecting adequate and relevant data in an ethically responsible manner.
3. can interpret and critically analyze geothermal data.
4. is able to formulate adequate and sound solution models for complex problems.
5. can report in a professional manner, transfer knowledge to others, hold scientifically based presentations, and can publish research results in scientific media.
6. is capable of monitoring and evaluating implemented solutions to geothermal energy related management problems.
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN GEOTHERMAL ENERGY TECHNOLOGY
At the end of the program, a graduate is expected to:
1. Have a common foundation in multi-disciplinary Geothermal Energy Technology knowledge, that supports Geothermal Energy management.
2. Apply the acquired knowledge and skills to identify problems and provide solutions to the various challenges of Geothermal Energy exploration & exploitation.
3. Function effectively in Multi-disciplinary Geothermal Energy teams.
4. Effectively participate in Geothermal Energy decision making process and effectively communicate in Geothermal Energy matters.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following are eligible for the Geothermal Energy Technology postgraduate programmes:
a) A holder of a Bachelors degree in physical science / Geosciences or a Bachelors Engineering degree of at least second class honours, upper division, or equivalent qualification,) which is recognized by the University Senate as an adequate prerequisite for a Post Graduate Diploma or a Master’s of Science degree in Geothermal Energy Technology.
b) A holder of a Bachelor degree with a Second Class honours Lower division in the disciplines outlined above. Any work experience gained will be taken into consideration.
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN LEATHER TECHNOLOGY
The program consists of a core, which provides advanced skills of leather technology, footwear design and manufacture and specialized courses of leather manufacture. The aim of the curriculum is to impart on the student, comprehensive knowledge and skills on the leather industry, environmental pollution control and ethics and animal rights. The Master of Science degree programme in Leather Technology is designed and developed so as to be consistent with global trends in leather industry.
The objective of this Master of Science in Leather Technology programme is to produce a graduate with:
- Knowledge on leather value chain.
- Knowledge on leather manufacturing and technologies.
- Capabilities to design and manufacture footwear and leather goods.
- Skills on management of leather production systems and/or industries.
- Ability to provide consultancy services relevant to the leather sector.
- Skills to undertake research relevant to the leather industry
- Ability to carry out Leather product quality control.
- Knowledge on health, safety and ethics in leather industry.
The graduate is able to:
- Design and produce footwear and leather goods.
- Solve leather processing, leather goods manufacture and environmental problems of the leather industry.
- Formulate new methods for leather processing and finishing
- Collect adequate and relevant data in an ethically responsible manner, analyze the data and formulate adequate and sound solution for leather technology problems
- Asses the quality of raw materials, finished leather, leather goods, footwear and tannery effluents
- Transfer knowledge to others, hold scientifically based presentations, and publish research results in scientific media.
- Monitor and evaluate implemented solutions in the field and any emerging problems.
- Formulate research proposals and prepare written research reports
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following shall be eligible for registration for the Master of Science in Leather Technology:
- A holder of at least an Upper Second Class Honours bachelors degree of DeKUT in OR
- A holder of at least a second class honours upper division Bachelor of Science degree in relevant field, from DeKUT any other institution recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status to (i) OR
- A holder of a Second Class Honours (Lower Division), Bachelor of Science degree in Leather Technology or Bachelor of Science degree in relevant field from DeKUT or any other institution which is recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status and who in addition must show proof of two years of relevant experience and professional development and academic advancement through research and publication since graduation with the bachelor’s degree or a postgraduate diploma in the relevant field.
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INDUSTRIAL MATHEMATICS
Goals of the Programme
The Master of Science in Industrial Mathematics is designed to provide the country and region with high-level manpower in computational planning, management and research in a broad range of industrial and engineering areas. This programme is aimed at developing multidisciplinary students who have up-to-date knowledge in their fields, but who also understand the linkage between Mathematics, industry and business.
The master's program aims to train students to become professional Industrial Mathematicians, who are able to apply and develop mathematical methods and have the computational skills to solve industrial and engineering problems.
At the end of this programme, the graduate in Master of Science in Industrial Mathematics is expected to acquire the following skills:
- Develop appropriate models and numerical techniques fundamental to developing solutions for specific problems
- Analyse and solve complex problems using various mathematical models
- Analysis of structure and logical thinking.
- Design algorithms to solve particular problems
- Proficiency with oral and written communication skills and project management which will enable them to introduce new technology into an organization.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following shall be eligible for registration for the Master of Science in Industrial Mathematics, either:
- A holder of at least an Upper Second Class Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics (or Actuarial Science.), any Engineering course and Computer Science from DeKUT OR
- A holder of at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) Bachelors Degree of Science in relevant field, from any other institution recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status to (a) OR
- A holder of at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) Bachelors Degree in relevant field, which is recognized by the University Senate as an adequate prerequisite for M.Sc. in Industrial Mathematics OR
- A holder of at least a Second Class Honours (Lower Division) Bachelors Degree from DeKUT or any other institution which is recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status and who in addition must show proof of either two years relevant experience and personal development or academic advancement through research and publications since graduation with the Bachelor Degree or a Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant field
INSTITUTE OF GEOMATICS, GIS AND REMOTE SENSING (IGGReS)
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND REMOTE SENSING
Program Objectives and Outcomes
The Master of Science degree in Geospatial Information Systems and Remote Sensing is designed to deepen grasp of professionals to Geospatial technologies and their broad applications required for planning and management for informed decision making. Attention is particularly focused on practical applications so as to empower professionals with skills and provide them with hands-on experience necessary for a broad and divergent range of applications. Upon completion of the study, graduates will have acquired skills, knowledge and attitudes in Geoinformatics enabling them to actively be involved in efficient management of resources. The programme builds on basic degree qualifications or equivalent qualifications acquired in areas related to the proposed programme.
Aims of the Program
The aim of this program is to equip students with:
- Advanced theories and concepts of GIS and remote sensing, through data capture, processing, analysis, management and dissemination
- Knowledge in global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), mobile geospatial technologies, web mapping and the application of these technologies for spatial data management and analysis.
- Spatial database management skills necessary for in-depth use of geospatial data models, data structures and their applications in geospatial information systems.
- Skills to enable them to undertake independent research work.
At the end of this program, graduates are expected to be able to:
- Apply GIS and Remote Sensing technologies to facilitate efficient decision making for better management of resources.
- Apply GIS and Remote Sensing technologies to solve specific problems in their fields of operation.
- Evaluate and recommend particular tools for addressing special geospatial problems.
- Undertake medium to large scale GIS and remote sensing projects right from inception to handover to end users and stakeholders
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following are eligible for registration for the Master of Science in Geospatial Information Systems and Remote Sensing:
- A holder of at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) Bachelor of Science degree from DeKUT in a spatial information based or related specialization, or from any other institution recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status, OR
- A holder of a Second Class Honours (Lower Division), Bachelor of Science degree from DeKUT in a spatial information based or related specialization, or from any other institution which is recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status and who in addition has had either two years relevant experience and professional development or academic advancement through research and publication since graduation with the Bachelor’s degree or a Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant field.